Tips and tricks to make your playthrough go as smoothly as possible.
Do NOT connect to a server while you are still doing the Helgen intro quest. You should ONLY connect after escaping Helgen. To open the UI, either use the Right-CTRL key or the F2 key.
If you want an optimal questing experience with the least amount of bugs, crashes and desyncs, read the questing section carefully (especially the guidelines).
The quest sync system works through the party system. When you create a party, you are the party leader. The party leader basically "hosts" the majority of the world. Other party members should be seen as "guests" in the world of the party leader. Whenever the party leader progresses a quest, the other party members also progress their quests automatically.
To have an optimal questing experience, you should follow these 4 rules:
- 1.Only the party leader can talk to quest NPCs to progress quests, and should be the only one to interact with quest scenes (like warding against a firebolt in the "First Lessons" quest).
- 2.Only the party leader can loot quest items, like the golden claw.
- 3.Stick to one party leader per playthrough, not per session. Changing party leaders will probably break the current quests you're doing, and it might break quests after that.
- 4.Stick to one party per server. More parties are technically possible, but it is not recommended if you want to do a quest-heavy playthrough, since they might interfere with each other.
These are some things you can safely do if you are not the party leader (though the party leader should be present for these things):
- Kill quest monsters and bosses.
- Clear quest dungeons.
- Do quest puzzles.
- Accidentally starting a quest as a non-leader is not a problem, just make sure you do not progress the quest until the leader has also taken that quest.
In case you get stuck, you can either reload an older save, or use the quest debugger as the party leader. The quest debugger menu can be opened through the debug UI overlay by pressing "F3" then Press "F2" to show the cursor. This menu can be used to progress a quest stage or teleport quest NPCs to you. Be warned that using the quest debugger might cause the quest to be skipped entirely.
It is recommended that you save often, and that you leave auto saving enabled, especially before scripted events and before finishing a quest. You can use F5 to quicksave.
Press "F3" to open the debugger menu. This special UI has menus which can help you get unstuck, either as your character, or quests, etc. The debug UI can be closed by pressing F3 again.